For quite a while now I have been ruminating on the idea of beginning a blog. Why? It certainly isn't that I believe my thoughts are so compelling that hundreds of people would want to read them. Honestly, I enjoy writing. It is truly cathartic for me. It is a window to my soul and my mind and I enjoy putting it all down on the "proverbial paper." It provides me with an opportunity to reflect and therefore respond to my journey. And that is what I believe life is after all....one magnificent journey. How fitting then, that I begin this reflective experience on the last day of 2010.
When I reflect upon 2010 the word CHANGE comes to mind. Some changes were more subtle than others, but they were changes none-the-less. I think my most profound change would have to be the decision to leave a place I had called "home" and to begin again in a less familiar surrounding. The decision to change where our family worshiped was not an easy one. It was one bathed in prayer and sometimes, unfortunately, tumult. How do you leave a place where you made a profession of faith, the place in which you were baptized and married and the same place which saw the dedication of your two babies? This change was far from easy, but I ultimately believe it was the right decision for my family. My fear was that my relationships would change and that I would have difficulty finding a new avenue of service in such a distinctly different place, but God, in his infinite and omnipotent ways, opened MULTIPLE doors for both Jimmy and myself. The transformation has been remarkable. Do I miss my home church? Without question, but sometimes God nudges us in a different direction and as difficult as leaving behind the familiar and comfortable can be, we are called to step out in faith.
On the same side of the coin, the man who influenced me for many many years at FBC passed away in 2010. Mr. Roy Barnes taught me, lead me, groomed me, and shaped my life in more ways than I could ever imagine or even thank him for. Words are so inadequate when it comes to the life of such an incredible man and his death has left an obvious void in this sleepy little town.
Continuing on this idea of change, in July, Jimmy and I decided to take a detour from our normal vacation plan and surprise the girls with a trip to The Magic Kingdom. It was a beautiful experience and one that I will look fondly upon for the rest of my life. What I remember most about the trip, however, is the magic that authentically resides on the grounds of Disney World. I never believed it could be so moving, but it was as fulfilling and incredible as I had hoped it would be. Seeing the park through the eyes of my two butterbeans changed me. Watching EG embrace Snow White (her personal princess heroine) and hearing Torie giggle as we rode through "It's a Small World" are forever cemented in my mind. If you have children and you ever have the chance to share the magic of Disney with them, please do not delay. It is an auspicious experience that I believe you will treasure for the rest of your life.
On the tail end of our Florida vacation, Jimmy and I learned of another impending change in the Johnson household. We would be following God's call to be fruitful and multiply. :) As much of a surprise as it was, we were excited at the prospect of welcoming a new butterbean into our household. We had certainly not planned to have three children, but God, as we have continually discovered, is in control and we have to trust His plans and paths for our lives. Although I was certain this baby would be a little boy, God has blessed us with another little princess. Jimmy felt all along that this child would be another girl and he couldn't be happier. He and I have continually joked over recent months about how much of a sense of humor God must have and likewise how much faith He must have in Jimmy to be able to survive all the hormones that he will be encountering in the coming years.
2010 also saw some distinct changes in the Gamecock Nation. Anyone who knows me in any capacity knows that I love USC. I love it fervently and passionately. I bleed garnet and black and nothing will ever change my undying loyalty to my Alma mater. It is a place that shaped me and molded me and I an forever grateful for the education (both in and out of the classroom) that I gained there. When I stand and raise my "toast" to USC I cannot hide the fact that chills still creep down my spine and over the tops of my arms. The words "Forever to Thee" reign true in my heart and I believe they always will. None-the-less, who would have EVER thought that I would have the chance to see my Gamecocks win a National Championship? Well, I actually didn't see it. I was pacing up and down the road in front of my house the evening Whit Merrifield batted in the winning run, but I did check my phone every 30 seconds or so to see what my fellow Facebook followers were posting. :) I knew it was over and over in a magical and special way when Jimmy pulled open the front door and yelled out to me " WE WON!!!!" It is a moment I will never forget. Yes, it was special that the Gamecocks won, but it was more special that my husband of 11 years got to see it too. As tried and true as I am, Jimmy loves the Gamecocks even more. His only regret was that he wasn't sitting beside his beloved father, (another Carolina Alum) to savor the moment. I can't help but believe, however, that on that night Mr. Johnson was smiling for his University of South Carolina too from the best seat in the house...heaven.
I would be remissed if I did not mention some icky changes that came from 2010. Not all changes are welcome, but as we all know, life sometimes hands us lemons and it is up to us to make lemonade. In the spring of the year my Nashville family experienced a devastating flood. They lost virtually everything they owned within their home as well as their vehicles. Because we lost our home to a fire when I was a small child, this was especially difficult for my family. Starting over, especially without flood insurance, is just not easy. But God, again, in his infinite wisdom and grace provided abundantly for my family. They are now back in their home and beginning again. Likewise, three ladies with whom I have the honor and privilege of calling friends have faced a personal change in their lives this year. Never did I believe at this point in my life that I would have any deep and personal dealings with breast cancer, but unfortunately, that is not the case. What I have learned, however, in watching these ladies, is that cancer doesn't care how old you are, where you live or how many babies you have. It is relentless in its pursuits of beautiful people, BUT it is absolutely no match for the fighting spirits of determined women who are fearless, powerful and followers of Jesus Christ.
As I conclude my first blog entry, I reflect on the idea that change isn't always welcome, but it is necessary none-the-less. With every unwelcome or unexpected change, comes a beautiful development in the progress of our journey. If change leads to growth in our human spirit and in our relationship with God, then how can we shun it? How can we want to just meander through life with the same humdrum experiences? God is waiting to walk alongside us in this experience. He certainly doesn't expect us to do it alone. He just wants us to deepen our understanding of Him and His plans for our lives. Life is a journey... And what a beautiful journey it is.
I enjoyed reading your words! Thank you for starting this! You inspire me sista!! Love ya!
ReplyDeleteYou are very thoughtful my friend. Good words young person ;-)
ReplyDeleteBecky