Now that Jimmy and I are expecting our third child I have a new perspective. Well, let me be honest. After giving birth to my first child, I developed a new perspective. As a child I don't think I fully appreciated all of the things my mother did. In fact, I KNOW I didn't. I overlooked the clean laundry, the breakfast waiting on us before the start of the school morning, the shampoo and soap in the shower, the toothpaste on the sink, the hours spent listening to me read...even the folded towels in the linen closet. I truly took for granted that all of those things were there because of someone- someone amazing.
Now, as an adult, I understand more fully the sacrifices that my mother made for my sisters and me. Not only do I understand them, but I certainly can appreciate them. How she was able to maintain full-time employment outside the home, raise three children, and maintain a home is beyond me. Sometimes I feel like a complete and utter failure when it comes to being able to balance all the business and busyness of life. In the words of a colleague of mine recently, "Just call me Mother of the Year" (insert sarcasm). But, haven't we all been there? Haven't we all had moments where we thought, Am I ever going to be able to get it together? I would venture to say most women would answer YES! When I recently asked my mom about how she was able to pull off such an amazing feat without ever coming across as fatigued or worn out, she just chuckled and said..."You just do...somehow, you just do." I have often wondered if she would change anything now that she has had the FULL experience, but it seems each time we are together for any extended period of time I realize a little more how much she loved her time with us and how much she misses her "girls" being girls rather than women. In the words of my Mawmaw and my mother, "Enjoy your babies while they are little; time flies so fast. You blink and they are all grown up."
As I look at my babies tonight and I feel butterbean # 3 playing kickball with my ribs, I can truly appreciate the beautiful person that my mother is. Was she a perfect mother? No. Just like any human being, we all think about how we could have done some things differently. But was she a mother who loved her children dearly? Was she a mother who gave sacrificially? Was she a mother who thought of herself only after everyone else was taken care of? Was she a mother who taught her daughters to be strong and independent? Without hesitation, I say YES! And for that I am eternally grateful. Words are completely inadequate when it comes to expressing my gratitude so I seldom try. But with my new found perspective I plan to live out the foundation poured by my mother by teaching my own children the value of unconditional love and sacrifice for the benefit of others. How blessed am I that I have the privilege of being called Mommy!!!! Thanks, Momma. Your legacy, stamina and relentless love are forever a piece of Marie.
No comments:
Post a Comment